Man City boss Enzo Maresca targets next Rodri after midfielder’s exit
Sign up now: Get the biggest sports news in your inbox
Barcelona’s Rodri is introduced in front of fans before a pre-season friendly match against Al Ahly on Aug 19.
PHOTO: REUTERS
- Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca aims to find a replacement for Rodri after his transfer to Barcelona, highlighting the club's history of successfully replacing key players.
- Rodri, who won multiple titles with City and captained Spain to World Cup victory, leaves a significant gap but is praised for his achievements and influence.
- Maresca expects more transfer activity before the window closes and emphasises the need to adapt, assuring confidence in a strong squad once all moves are finalised.
AI generated
LONDON – Manchester City manager Enzo Maresca said the club would look to find the next Rodri following the midfielder’s departure to Barcelona, insisting City had repeatedly shown an ability to replace key players.
Rodri, 30, ended a seven-year spell with the English side on Aug 18, bringing to a close a trophy-laden stay that included four Premier League titles, the Champions League and two FA Cups.
“I’ll try to find a new Rodri – it is what it is,” Maresca told reporters on Aug 22, a day ahead of City’s Premier League opener against Bournemouth.
“Rodri, before he arrived here, he didn’t win the Ballon d’Or, he didn’t win the Champions League, he didn’t win the Club World Cup. Then he joined the club, and then he achieved many important things.
“Now the target for us is to try to find the new Rodri.”
Maresca acknowledged the Spain international would be difficult to replace but said City’s recruitment history gave him confidence that a successor could emerge.
“When David Silva was here, everyone was worried – Kevin (de Bruyne) arrived. When Sergio Aguero was here, everyone was worried – Erling (Haaland) arrived. When Fernandinho left, Rodri arrived. It’s just about this,” he said.
“When they leave, you need to be good and recruit the next one.”
Rodri, the 2024 Ballon d’Or winner and a member of Spain’s European Championship-winning team, further enhanced his reputation by captaining his country to World Cup glory in July and being named player of the tournament.
His departure is among several notable changes during the close season as City continue to reshape their squad.
Maresca said he expected further transfer activity before the window closes but remained relaxed despite reports linking Omar Marmoush and Nico Gonzalez with moves away.
“We need to adapt, and we don’t want to keep players here who don’t want to stay. The normal thing in transfer windows is that you have to wait because all the clubs try to keep players until the last week and then sell for more money,” the 46-year-old said.
“It’s normal. I’m not worried about that. When the transfer window closes and we have the squad there, for sure it will be different.” REUTERS

